UMD: A Globally Connected University
UMD Exchange: University of Edinburgh (United Kingdom)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
The University of Edinburgh is ranked 6th in the United Kingdom (Times Higher Education World Rankings 2013-2014) and consistently ranks in the top 50 universities in the world. Edinburgh has approximately 33,000 students and its famous alumni include Charles Darwin and J K Rowling.
Edinburgh is the capitol of Scotland and an extremely vibrant city. Edinburgh is home to top art venues, a myriad of cafes and new restaurants, and beautiful cobbled streets in the Old Town. The city is known as the world’s festival capital and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The University of Edinburgh and the University of Maryland are both members in Universitas 21 (U21). U21 is the leading global network of research-intensive universities; working together to foster global citizenship and institutional innovation through research inspired teaching and learning, student mobility, connecting our students and staff, and wider advocacy for internationalization.
Learn more about Universitas 21 and its programs and mission on the U21 website: http://universitas21.com/
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
Edinburgh offers a large variety of coursework and exchange students may enroll courses in the College of Humanities & Social Sciences and the College of Science and Engineering.
Exchange students are not allowed to enroll in any studio based courses (in departments such as architecture, art, and design). Edinburgh has a number of departments with high demand and so there are limited places available in English Literature, History, Art History, Law, Philosophy, and Politics and International Relations.
Find out more information on the Edinburgh website.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at University of Edinburgh will be converted as follows:
|University of Edinburgh Credit||UMD Credit|
|1 UK credit x .3||1 UMD credit|
|10 UK credit x .3||3 UMD credit|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on June 10, 2014
You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents through the Transfer Credit Services Equivalency Database (TCEQ). If you are interested in taking a course not listed on TCEQ, you may have it evaluated for acceptability by following the UMD Registrar’s evaluation request guidelines.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|University of Edinburgh Garde||UMD Grade|
|40 or D or Satisfactory*||C -|
Exchange students are guaranteed university housing provided that they submit the accommodation application by the deadline.
You can learn more about accommodation on the Edinburgh website: http://www.accom.ed.ac.uk/residence-life/
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000!
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, TAES, etc.)
- If you have a completed FAFSA on file and wish to be considered for need based aid in addition to the automatic award, complete the EA fund form by the deadline.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|
|NOTE: Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|