UMD: A Globally Connected University
ENGR Exchange: University of Auckland (New Zealand)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
The University of Auckland is New Zealand’s leading university and is ranked as one of the top 100 universities in the world. The University of Auckland has the most comprehensive range of courses in New Zealand with teaching and research conducted over eight faculties and two large-scale research institutes.
Auckland’s harbor setting, magnificent beaches, and flourishing bush make it a great place to study and work, while the University’s close proximity to New Zealand’s major business city enables staff and students to rub shoulders with leading practitioners in their field. Auckland ranks high on quality of life surveys and is known for popular spots for sailing, swimming, and surfing.
The University of Auckland and the University of Maryland are both members in Universitas 21 (U21). U21 is the leading global network of research-intensive universities; working together to foster global citizenship and institutional innovation through research inspired teaching and learning, student mobility, connecting our students and staff, and wider advocacy for internationalization.
Learn more about Universitas 21 and it's programs and mission on the U21 website.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- You must be an ENGR major
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
Exchange students may not enroll in courses offered in:
Foundation courses ending in F or H
Part I Engineering Courses
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at University of Auckland will be converted as follows:
|University of Auckland Credit||UMD Credit|
|.25 Auckland Credit||1 UMD Credit|
|15 Auckland Credit||4 UMD Credit|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on February 12, 2015.
You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents on the International Study Course Search hosted by the Clark School of Engineering website and the Transfer Credit Services Equivalency Database (TCEQ). If you are interested in taking a course not listed on TCEQ, you may have it evaluated for acceptability by following the UMD Registrar’s evaluation request guidelines.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|University of Auckland Grade||UMD Grade|
|50 or C||C -|
Exchange students are able to stay in university accommodation but places are not guaranteed. Students who wish to live in university accommodation must apply after acceptance. More information about university accommodation can be found here: http://www.accommodation.auckland.ac.nz/en.html.
Students who choose to live off-campus may find independent housing. Information is provided here: http://www.accommodation.auckland.ac.nz/en/flats-homestays-and-other-acc....
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000!
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, TAES, etc.)
- If you have a completed FAFSA on file and wish to be considered for need based aid in addition to the automatic award, complete the EA fund form by the deadline.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|