UMD: A Globally Connected University
ENGR Exchange: University of Sydney (Australia)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
The University of Sydney is Australia's first university and its reputation spans 160 years. They are regularly ranked in the top 0.3% of universities worldwide. The cross-disciplinary nature of the university's 9 faculties (colleges) and schools allows them to offer the widest range of academic programs of any Australian university, giving students the flexibility to personalize your study.
From your first day at the University of Sydney, students have the opportunity to learn from aspiring academics. Sydney continues to rank among the top teaching and research universities in the world and offers a cutting-edge curriculum.
The iconic city of Sydney is best known for its distinctive Opera House, incredible Harbor, and its exciting and dynamic lifestyle. Sydney ranks first as the world's friendliest city of tourists and fourth best city for students. Sydney has many cultural events and festivals throughout the year. Explore how art, technology and commerce intersect at the Vivid City event, walk along the spectacular Bondi coastal walk and revel in three weeks of live music, visual arts, theater, food, and film during the Sydney Festival.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- Must be an ENGR major
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
The University of Sydney has the largest selection of subjects (courses) offered by any university in Australia. Students can choose from 9 Faculties and Schools:
- Agriculture & Environment
- Architecture, Design, and Planning
- Arts & Social Sciences
- Education & Social Work
- Engineering and Information Technologies
- Health Sciences
- Veterinary Science
- Visual Arts
The University of Sydney is on of the world's top research universities. Exchange students can take part in interdisciplinary research on campus offered through many different centers such as Sydney Environmental Institute, Sydney Southeast Asia Center, National Centre for Cultural Competence, and Australian Centre for Field Robotics.
The University of Sydney has a robust internship placement program for study abroad students. While exchange students are not guaranteed placement this option will enhance your experience at the University of Sydney and in Australia. Additional fees are associate with internship placement, learn more on the Sydney website.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at University of Sydney will be converted as follows:
|University of Sydney Credit||UMD Credit|
|.667 Sydney Credit||1 UMD Credit|
|6 Sydney Credit||4 UMD Credit|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on November 12, 2015.
You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents on the International Study Course Search hosted by the Clark School of Engineering website and the Transfer Credit Services Equivalency Database (TCEQ). If you are interested in taking a course not listed on TCEQ, you may have it evaluated for acceptability by following the UMD Registrar’s evaluation request guidelines.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|University of Sydney Grade||UMD Grade|
Housing placement at the University of Sydney is guaranteed. The University has eight residential colleges on the downtown campus. The University also offers furnished rooms in shared or self-contained apartments and houses, usually located within walking distance of campus.
Learn more about housing on the University of Sydney website.
All students attending the University of Sydney are required to enroll in OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) insurance. The cost of OSHC will be billed through your UMD student account. The cost of OSHC is $330 Australian Dollars.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000!
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, TAES, etc.)
- If you have a completed FAFSA on file and wish to be considered for need based aid in addition to the automatic award, complete the EA fund form by the deadline.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|