UMD: A Globally Connected University
The Education Abroad Network (TEAN): AUT Summer Rugby Program
AUT Summer Rugby Program in Auckland, New Zealand with TEAN
- Enjoy studying abroad during the summer and, for rugby student athletes, still maintaining a guided training program to meet your athletic requirements back at your home university
- Spend 4 weeks in Auckland learning about Sport, History, Society and Culture in New Zealand, as well as participating in one the best rugby training programs in the world - the Auckland Rugby Academy
- Live in Auckland, arguably the world home of rugby and home to the All Blacks, where locals live and breathe the sport
- Participate in an intensive training program tailored to your needs and be placed with a local rugby club at the appropriate level for the duration of your stay
- Gain full access to the Auckland Rugby Union High Performance Centre at Eden Park; gymnasium, Players Common Area (complete with kitchen), internet and more
- Live with local rugby enthusiasts in a homestay, where the families help you adhere to the nutrition program as established by the Auckland Rugby Academy
Auckland, New Zealand
Auckland is great for those who want:
- to live in the heart of a large multicultural city, including the world’s largest Polynesian population, where there is always something to do and see
- to travel, as it is a domestic and international hub
- easy access to the coast and nearby islands for weekend getaways
The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) – established in 1995 – are study abroad and intern specialists in the Asia Pacific region with semester and summer programs available in Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, South Korea, China and Japan.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
UMD partners with TEAN to offer affiliate program options to UMD students in Australia, New Zealand, and Asia. You will maintain your UMD student status while abroad and you will work directly with TEAN program staff as a participant on their program. Your EA advisor will assist you with this process and can answer questions you may have about the application process.
Academics on a TEAN program
All courses on TEAN programs are considered for transfer credit. However, UMD cannot yet approve transfer credit for TEAN’s field studies, internships or experiential learning courses. Study tours and classes offered on a pass/fail basis are not transferable.
Costs & Billing for TEAN programs
The affiliate program costs apply to this program. UMD students studying on TEAN semester programs will get an $800 discount off of the published TEAN program fee.
As part of your program application to TEAN, you will pay a $500 program deposit and an $350 housing deposit to secure your spot. The remaining TEAN program fees, including housing, will be charged to your UMD student account. You will be able to use any financial aid you receive from UMD towards these charges.
Students studying in New Zealand are also encouraged to apply for the New Zealand - Generation Study Abroad Excellence and Travel Award.