UMD: A Globally Connected University
BMGT Exchange: Singapore Management University (Singapore)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
Study in one of the most dynamic international cities in the world, a true hub of commerce in Asia.
A premier university in Asia, the Singapore Management University (SMU) is internationally recognized for its world-class research and distinguished teaching. Established in 2000, SMU’s mission is to generate leading-edge research with global impact and produce broad-based, creative and entrepreneurial leaders for the knowledge-based economy.
The SMU campus is situated at the heart of Singapore’s central business district and the arts and heritage precincts. Singapore is a vibrant city and one of the safest, most well-connected, and cleanest countries in the world. As Asia’s major commercial hub, it attracts many multinational corporations and people from around the world. A multicultural country, Singapore is welcoming and a great place to live and learn.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- You must be an ENGR/a BMGT major
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa may required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for Singapore. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), and may include requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript. If a letter of recommendation and/or official transcript are required, it will be listed in MyEA once you start an application for this program.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program. Nominated students must complete the host university application in accordance with the host university’s stated deadlines and instructions.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
SMU offers many courses available to exchange students, including in Accountancy, Business, Economics, Information Systems, Law, Social Sciences) are open to exchange students. Some courses require students to fulfil prerequisites before reading.
Not all courses are offered each semester. You are advised to check the semester availability of courses based on the current academic year. See SMU's website for more information about academic processes for exchange students. Note that courses in accounting may be restricted for exchange students.
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at Singapore Management University will be converted as follows:
|Singapore Management University||UMD Credit|
|3.12 SMU Credits||1 UMD Credit|
|9.36 SMU Credits||3 UMD Credits|
The credit conversion listed above was approved by the UMD Study Abroad Transfer Credit Committee on May 25, 2015.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|Singapore Management University Grade||UMD Grade|
|C -||C -|
SMU will provide housing information upon acceptance. While there is no campus housing available, several international student residences are located near campus.
For more information, visit SMU’s accommodation website https://www.smu.edu.sg/campus-life/facilities-leasing/student-facilities/campus-housing
UMD students participating in an Exchange program have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information about this Exchange program, please reference the Cost of Attendance Chart.
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Students participating in a BMGT or ENGR exchange program are not charged differential tuition. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available to help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000! To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, Frederick Douglass Scholarship, etc.)
Additional Financial Resources
Maximize your time abroad by taking advantage of resources at your host institution!
SMU arranges Welcome Activities specifically for exchange students. In addition to these activities, you can choose to participate in the Buddy Program.
Counseling & Health Services
Incoming exchange students are required to purchase insurance through the university. The cost of this insurance is not an additional fee, it is included as a part of the miscellaneous fees. Mental health services are available on campus.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|