UMD: A Globally Connected University
BMGT Exchange: Rotterdam School of Management
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
Rotterdam School of Management is a preeminent business school, ranked highly in international rankings for management education. Full accredited, RSM has a wide range of courses, most of which are taught in English by acclaimed international faculty. Its strong connections to the corporate world ensure a practical education for local and international students alike.
Rotterdam is the hub for multinational companies in the Netherlands. As one of the largest ports in the world, the city is truly global. Rotterdam is well connected to the rest of the Netherlands and indeed the rest of Europe. Lonely Planet recently listed Rotterdam as No. 5 in their top-10 cities in the world. Students will be closely engaged with this cosmopolitan city.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- You must be a BMGT major
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
As an exchange student, you are required to obtain a residence permit. Visit here for more information.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
Rotterdam School of Management offers courses in a range of disciplines. For a full course list, visit RSM’s exchange course page. Students are permitted to take courses during the Fall semester (RSM’s Trimester 1) or the Spring semester (RSM’s Trimesters 2 & 3).
All courses are taught in English.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at UNSW will be converted as follows:
|RSM Grade||UMD Grade|
For students who stay at RSM for 4 months for more, housing is available through SSH accommodation, a student housing service in the Netherlands. Most housing options are through shared apartment style accommodations (with individual bedrooms and shared common facilities). Other private options are available.
UMD students participating in an Exchange program have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information about this Exchange program, please reference the Cost of Attendance Chart.
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Students participating in a BMGT or ENGR exchange program are not charged differential tuition. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available to help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000! To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, Frederick Douglass Scholarship, etc.)
Global Scholarship (Smith School)
The Smith School offers $1,100 Global Scholarships to business students participating in exchange programs. Visit the Smith School website to learn more about eligibility requirements.
Additional Financial Resources
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|