UMD: A Globally Connected University
This is a study abroad program for resume builders. Pursue an internship (not for academic credit) at a company or organization in Shanghai. Study Chinese language. Take electives in a variety of disciplines such as business, economics, history or political science. CET Shanghai introduces students of all majors and Chinese language levels to the challenges and rewards of working abroad.
Explore China Your Way
- Internships at corporations, businesses, not-for-profits, retail enterprises, hotels, start-ups
- 6-credit Chinese language classes
- Electives in: business, economics, history, political science, area studies, film
- Local roommates
- No language prerequisite
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
UMD partners with CET to offer affiliate program options to UMD students at select CET program sites. You will maintain your UMD student status while abroad and you will work directly with CET program staff as a participant on their program. Your EA advisor will assist you with this process and can answer questions you may have about the application process.
Academics on a CET program
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
Costs & Billing for a CET program
The affiliate program costs apply to this program. CET program fees, including housing, will be billed directly to your UMD student account and CET financial terms will apply to these costs. You will be able to apply any financial aid you receive from UMD towards these charges. The following CET program fee discounts apply to UMD students:
- $1,000 discount on fall or spring and $500 off summer CET program fees through the automatic Big Ten Academic Alliance (BTAA) discount.
- $1,500 discount for in-State Students on CET fall or spring programs.
Please see below for additional information about scholarship opportunities.
Scholarships for this program are available through the UMD Education Abroad Scholarship as well as through CET’s scholarship funding. CET offers need, identity and merit-based scholarships, with easy access scholarship applications available directly through your CET program application.