UMD: A Globally Connected University
Rochester Institute of Technology in Kosovo
The RIT Kosovo Peace and Conflict Summer Program brings students to the Balkans to study conflict resolution, transformation and economic development. Set in Kosovo, Europe’s newest nation-state, the program offers students the opportunity to learn from faculty who specialize in the political and social transformation of societies from war to peace. With Kosovo as a living classroom, students will meet and learn from civilian and military officials, NGOs and academics who are helping to build the country after the conflicts of the late 20th century.
Situated in the southern Balkans, Kosovo and its capital, Pristina, are an exciting destination for students to explore South Eastern Europe. The Kosovar population is relatively young, and Pristina, which was devastated by war in the 1990's, is now a vibrant urban center attracting aspiring entrepreneurs, artists, and students. The RIT Kosovo program has its own campus, which students use as a home base for their course-related travels around Kosovo and its neighbors. The weeks spent in this rapidly changing part of Europe have much to teach about conflict and peace, reconciliation and rebirth.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
Costs for Other Approved Programs are outlined on the Costs of Study Abroad page.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.