UMD: A Globally Connected University
University of New South Wales (UNSW) (direct enroll) - ENGR
The University of New South Wales is one of Australia’s leading research and teaching universities. Established in 1949, UNSW is home to over 52,000 students and provides students with access to first class facilities, excellent lecturers, and a fantastic university and student services support. The University is a member of the prestigious Group of Eight (Go8), which is a coalition of leading Australian universities that are research intensive and have comprehensive general and professional education programs, now with more than 300 undergraduate programs. UNSW is also a member of the Universitas 21, the leading global network of research intensive universities working together to foster global citizenship and institutional innovation through research inspired teaching and learning and student mobility. UNSW's main Kensington campus features award winning architecture, natural surroundings and exceptional sport and recreational facilities, including an Olympic sized indoor pool, courts, ovals, bars, food courts and medical clinic.
UNSW is located in Sydney, Australia. Sydney, the most famous city in Australia, offers a cosmopolitan city center, vibrant cultural activities and attractions, sparkling beaches, and dramatic national parks. UNSW's main Kensington campus is located 15 minutes from the Central Business District and about 3 kilometers from Sydney’s famous Coogee and Bondi beaches.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD).
- If you are interested in taking an engineering course not listed in the SACD, please submit an engineering course evaluation request.
- If you are interested in taking a non-engineering course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit on your UMD transcript. UMD uses the following conversion to assess how many credits you will get from this program:
|University of New South Wales Credit||UMD Credit|
|1 UNSW credit||0.66 UMD credit|
|6 UNSW credits||4 UMD credits|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Study Abroad Transfer Credit Committee on June 4, 2014.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|University of New South Wales Grade||UMD Grade|
|50 or P||C -|
Costs for Other Approved Programs are outlined on the Costs of Study Abroad page.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.