UMD: A Globally Connected University
University of Sydney (direct enroll) - ENGR
The University of Sydney is Australia's first university and its reputation spans 160 years. They are regularly ranked in the top 0.3% of universities worldwide. The cross-disciplinary nature of the university's 9 faculties (colleges) and schools allows them to offer the widest range of academic programs of any Australian university, giving students the flexibility to personalize your study. From your first day at the University of Sydney, students have the opportunity to learn from aspiring academics. Sydney continues to rank among the top teaching and research universities in the world and offers a cutting-edge curriculum.
The iconic city of Sydney is best known for its distinctive Opera House, incredible Harbor, and its exciting and dynamic lifestyle. Sydney ranks first as the world's friendliest city of tourists and fourth best city for students. Sydney has many cultural events and festivals throughout the year. Explore how art, technology and commerce intersect at the Vivid City event, walk along the spectacular Bondi coastal walk and revel in three weeks of live music, visual arts, theater, food, and film during the Sydney Festival.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD).
- If you are interested in taking an engineering course not listed in the SACD, please submit an engineering course evaluation request.
- If you are interested in taking a non-engineering course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit on your UMD transcript. UMD uses the following conversion to assess how many credits you will get from this program:
|University of Sydney Credit||UMD Credit|
|1 Sydney credit||0.66 UMD credit|
|6 Sydney credits||4 UMD credits|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Study Abroad Transfer Credit Committee on November 12, 2015.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|University of Sydney Grade||UMD Grade|
Costs & Billing
Your University of Sydney tuition will be charged to your UMD student account. You will be able to use any financial aid you from UMD towards these charges.
University of Sydney's mandatory health insurance coverage, called OHSC, is not included in your tuition and will be paid directly to the University of Sydney.
Scholarships for this program are available through the UMD Education Abroad Scholarship.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|