UMD: A Globally Connected University
University of Manchester (direct enroll) - ENGR
The University of Manchester is among the top universities in the world and has an international reputation for its research. In 2005 and 2006 it was awarded the title "University of the Year". The University has almost 4,000 academic and research staff, many with international reputations in their subjects, providing students with a stimulating learning environment and the highest standard of teaching. Manchester is a truly multicultural university, as it hosts 7,400 international students from 180 countries. The University boasts several tourist attractions on campus, such as The Manchester Museum and Whitworth Art Gallery, and has a Student Services Centre (SSC), International Advice Team, and the University of Manchester Students' Union that are available to all international students to make them feel at home during their time abroad.
The University of Manchester is located in the city of Manchester, which is considered England's second city after London; however, with much lower living costs than the capital. Famous for its English Premier League football teams, Manchester City and Manchester United, and home to some of the best in contemporary and classic art and theatre, Manchester is a great place for a student to call home. It is one of Britain's livliest and most multicultural cities, buzzing with events, cinemas, exhibitions, clubs and bars that cater for everyone. It offers a vibrant world with which to engage during your exchange abroad experience.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD).
- If you are interested in taking an engineering course not listed in the SACD, please submit an engineering course evaluation request.
- If you are interested in taking a non-engineering course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit on your UMD transcript. UMD uses the following conversion to assess how many credits you will get from this program:
|University of Manchester Credit||UMD Credit|
|1 Manchester credit||0.3 UMD credit|
|10 Manchester credits||3 UMD credits|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Study Abroad Transfer Credit Committee on June 10, 2014.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|University of Manchester Grade||UMD Grade|
Costs for Other Approved Programs are outlined on the Costs of Study Abroad page.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|