UMD: A Globally Connected University
University College Dublin (direct enroll) - ENGR
University College Dublin, or UCD, is Ireland's largest university and is ranked among the top 1% of universities worldwide with its research intensive initiatives. UCD has over 150 years of history behind its innovative mission. With 7 Colleges, 38 Schools and 22,000 students, the campus provides a lot of academic opportunities for exchange students. UCD's modernized campus is located just a short distance from the center of Dublin and hosts over 5,000 international students and about 250 exchange students every year. Students attending UCD are able to pick and choose from classes in different departments since the UCD curriculum is very flexible.
Apart from academics, there are over 100 active student societies in areas such as jazz, comedy, law, and international students. All UCD students are automatically members of UCD Students’ Union, which represents students’ views and opinions as the voice of the student population on campus. There are other excellent facilities on campus to cater to students’ academic and personal needs, such as well-resourced libraries, state-of-the art labs and computer facilities, a student health center, and counseling services.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD).
- If you are interested in taking an engineering course not listed in the SACD, please submit an engineering course evaluation request.
- If you are interested in taking a non-engineering course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit on your UMD transcript. UMD uses the following conversion to assess how many credits you will get from this program:
|UCD Credit||UMD Credit|
|1 UCD credit * 0.6||1 UMD credit|
|5 UCD credit||3 UMD credit|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on October 16, 2014.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|UCD Grade||UMD Grade|
|D- or 2.0||C -|
Following your time abroad, you will need to request your transcript from your host institution/program provider and have it sent directly to EA. You can find additional instructions for requesting your transcript on the Academics page.
Costs for Other Approved Programs are outlined on the Costs of Study Abroad page.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|