UMD: A Globally Connected University
Seoul National University (direct enroll) - ENGR
As South Korea's first national university, Seoul National University has a tradition of standing up for democracy and peace on the Korean peninsula. The mission of Seoul National University in the twenty-first century is to create a vibrant intellectual community where students and scholars join together in building the future. As Korea's leading research university, Seoul National University is committed to diversifying its student body and faculty, fostering global exchange, and promoting path-breaking research in all fields of knowledge.
Seoul National University is located in Seoul, which is Korea's political, cultural, and economic center. A thriving metropolis, Seoul is the home of embassies, theaters, stores, and high-tech office buildings. Amongst tall modern buildings sit ancient palaces, temples, and shrines set against crowded markets and the peaceful Han River that runs through the city center. Known as one of the most wired cities in the world, students in Seoul can take advantage of Korea's position on the cutting edge of global technology. With a population of approximately 11 million people, Seoul continues to expand outward.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD).
- If you are interested in taking an engineering course not listed in the SACD, please submit an engineering course evaluation request.
- If you are interested in taking a non-engineering course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit on your UMD transcript. UMD uses the following conversion to assess how many credits you will get from this program:
|SNU Credit||UMD Credit|
|1 SNU credit||1 UMD credit|
|3 SNU credits||3 UMD credits|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Study Abroad Transfer Credit Committee on September 17, 2015.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|SNU Grade||UMD Grade|
Costs for Other Approved Programs are outlined on the Costs of Study Abroad page.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.