UMD: A Globally Connected University
UMD Exchange: University of Zurich (Switzerland)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
The University of Zurich (UZH) is Switzerland’s largest university with 26,000 students, made up of seven faculties covering 100 different subject areas. UZH is a member of the “League of European Research Universities” and is thus one of Europe’s most prestigious research institutions.
The University of Zurich is situated in Zurich, Switzerland, a dynamic, vibrant, and cosmopolitan city. The French and German influences are not to be missed in this international city. German is the most commonly spoken language, but it is also normal to communicate in English, French, and other languages. Zurich is known for its excellent transportation, high quality of living, and countless cultural activities, including museums, concerts, and theater. Outdoor activities during the summer include swimming and sailing on Lake Zurich, or skiing at one of the nearby Alpine resorts in the winter.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), and may include requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript. If a letter of recommendation and/or official transcript are required, it will be listed in MyEA once you start an application for this program.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program. Nominated students must complete the host university application in accordance with the host university’s stated deadlines and instructions.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Exchange students can take courses across the University. The Faculty of Medicine and Faculty of Veterinary Medicine are restricted.
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree.
|University of Zurich Credit||UMD Credit|
|1 UZH credit||0.6 UMD Credit|
The credit conversion listed above was approved by the UMD Study Abroad Transfer Credit Committee on August 1, 2019.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|University of Zurich Grading||UMD Grade|
UZH offers on-campus housing to students and priority is given to international students. Most rooms are single rooms in flats with a shared kitchen, living room, and bath. Students must register for housing through Zurich.
UMD students participating in an Exchange program have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information about this Exchange program, please reference the Cost of Attendance Chart.
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available to help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000! To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, Frederick Douglass Scholarship, etc.)
University of Zurich Scholarships
For Fall 2021, UZH offers one scholarship amounting to CHF 2,500 for one UMD student. This scholarship is approximately equal to covering accommodation costs during a semester of study in Zurich. Talk to the EA Advisor to learn more.
Additionally, exchange students with financial restraints can apply for a scholarship offered by the Heyning-Roelli Foundation. These foundation grants cover some living expenses in Switzerland.
Additional Financial Resources
Maximize your time abroad by taking advantage of resources at your host institution!
Student Clubs and Organizations
The University of Zurich has a wide range of professional student organizations and other clubs and associations for all exchange students to participate in!
The university hosts Welcome Events based on different academic concentrations.
Counseling & Health Services
The university offers mental health services and is in close proximity to many hospitals and clinics.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|