UMD: A Globally Connected University
Freie University Berlin: European Studies Program (FU-BEST)
UMD students may participate in the direct enroll option at the Freie University Berlin: European Studies Program (FU-BEST). This means that the student will apply directly to FU-BEST after receiving approval from UMD and will work directly with the host university on all arrangements to secure their stay in Germany.
For more information about participating in a direct enroll program, visit the FU-BEST site. FU-BEST is an Affiliate Program, so there is a course transfer agreement and the program fee is charged to your UMD Testudo Account. At the end of the program, FU-BEST will provide UMD with an official transcript. All participants receive an official electronic grade report.
Additional Information & Resources Academics
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
Costs for Affiliate Programs are outlined on the Costs of Study Abroad page.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.