UMD: A Globally Connected University
University of Amsterdam Summer School
Ranked consistently as one of the top 100 universities in the world, the University of Amsterdam (UvA) is a modern university located in the capital of the Netherlands with a rich history that traces its roots back to 1632. Today, UvA boasts having more than 30,000 students, 5,000 staff and 285 study programs, many of which are taught in English. It is one of the largest comprehensive universities in Europe, offering courses in seven faculties: Humanities, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Economics and Business, Science, Law, Medicine, and Dentistry.
During the summer terms, students are able to apply to a course, or “programme” in a variety of areas and taught in English. Each programme varies in course length (typically about 3 weeks long) and in the number of credits. Students should be sure to check the UvA website for all pertaining details, including dates, costs, number of credits, and pre-requisites for each programme.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
Costs for Other Approved Programs are outlined on the Costs of Study Abroad page.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.