UMD: A Globally Connected University
Boren Indonesian Flagship Language Initiative (IFL): Indonesian in Indonesia
Boren Scholarships fund study abroad for U.S. undergraduate students in world regions critical to U.S. interests. The Indonesian Flagship Language Initiative (IFLI) is one of these, offering Boren Scholars the opportunity for intensive study of the Indonesian language (Bahasa Indonesia) through a combination of domestic and overseas programs.
The domestic portion of IFLI takes place in the summer and is hosted by the University of Wisconsin, Madison. The overseas fall portion of the IFLI is administered by the American Councils for International Education and hosted by the State University of Malang in Indonesia.
All levels of Indonesian language are accepted. As part of the program, students will have tutors, participate in language conversation tables, homestays, and cultural excursions to ensure language goals are being met.
Students applying for this opportunity must apply early and are strongly encouraged to work with the National Scholarships Office. Boren Scholars must remain matriculated in a degree program at a U.S. post-secondary institution for the duration of their Boren Awards-funded program.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
Costs for Other Approved Programs are outlined on the Costs of Study Abroad page.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.