UMD: A Globally Connected University
University of Bristol: Global Summer Schools (direct enroll)
Founded in 1872, the University of Bristol has built and maintained a strong reputation as a teaching and research institution. The University is known for academics, excellent facilities, and a desirable location. League tables usually place Bristol within the top ten universities in the United Kingdom and it was ranked by 30th overall in the world in the 2011 QS World University Rankings. As a result, it attracts many academically gifted students. The University of Bristol's excellent academic program and quintessentially British cultural environment make this exchange a very fulfilling study abroad experience.
The University of Bristol invites international students to join the dynamic, immersive range of summer programs! Get academic and career experience and explore Bristol, one of the UK's most beautiful and vibrant cities. Choose from one of the following schools to participate in:
- Archaeology field school: Discover, excavate and analyze a royal medieval anarchy site.
- Sunday 19 June to Saturday 2 July 2022
Arts, activism and social justice summer school: An opportunity to explore social justice and movements for change.
- Sunday 19 June to Saturday 9 July 2022
- Biomedical sciences lab summer school: Gain practical skills in our diverse life sciences and health sciences labs.
- Sunday 17 July to Saturday 6 August 2022
- Shakespeare in performance summer school: Explore the UK's vibrant performing arts and theatre scenes.
- Sunday 24 July to Saturday 13 August 2022
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Please see each School's page for further information about academics and eligibility:
- Archaeology field school
- Arts, activism and social justice summer school
- Biomedical sciences lab summer school
- Shakespeare in performance summer school
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit on your UMD transcript. UMD uses the following conversion to assess how many credits you will get from this program:
|HOST Credit||UMD Credit|
|15 ECTS||3.75 UMD credits|
|60 ECTS||15 UMD credits|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Study Abroad Transfer Credit Committee on DATE.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|HOST Grade||UMD Grade|
Costs for Other Approved Programs are outlined on the Costs of Study Abroad page.
All program fees for each Global Summer School include:
- All tuition, teaching materials and a transcript
- Lab consumables, site materials, or community workshop costs when applicable
- Single-room accommodation in a University of Bristol residence
- A half-board meal package (breakfast and dinner) throughout your stay
- A team of supportive student leaders available 24/7
- An exciting social program
- Arrivals and departures day transfers within Bristol from Bristol Airport, Bristol Bus and Coach Station, or Bristol Temple Meads train station.
The following breakdown provides an estimate of fees for this summer program. For up-to-date fees from the host institution, please see the Bristol Global Summer Schools website.
Paid to UMD:
- Application fee: $50
- Education Abroad fee: $500
- International Health Insurance: $40 (est.)
Paid to host institution:
- Estimated program fees:
- Archaeology field school: £2,795 (around $3850)
- Arts, activism and social justice summer school: TBC
- Biomedical sciences lab summer school: £3,295 (around $4520)
- Shakespeare in performance summer school: TBC
- Round trip Airfare
- Personal expenses and individual travel
- Optional international trip cancellation/interruption insurance
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|This program has multiple summer sessions. You will select the session you would like to participate in.|