UMD: A Globally Connected University
IFSA Tech Career Accelerator - Computer Science in Prague
IFSA - IFSA TECH CAREER ACCELERATOR
Prague, Czech Republic
WHY STUDY IN PRAGUE?
Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic, is one of Central Europe’s oldest gems, but also one of its rising stars. Home to innovation, art and creativity, Prague is the gateway to the “new Europe” within the Czech Republic and neighboring Germany and Austria. The city’s train stations, bus networks, and airport make Prague an ideal base from which to explore Europe. With a plethora of cafés, cathedrals, and museums, there is no shortage of local wonders to experience in Prague, and an excellent public transportation system allows you to traverse the city with ease.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Gain the skills today’s employers want as you continue essential computer science coursework with this specialized program, created in partnership with select U.S. universities.
Prague is a city leaning boldly into the future. Take advantage of its dynamic tech ecosystem as you get real-world experience and develop skills like collaboration and teamwork through team challenges, company visits, optional internships, and more. Stay on track for graduation with classes in AI, software engineering, database management, machine learning, and more with top notch faculty. Come back to campus with a strong resume, global connections, and newfound confidence.
There’s time to explore, too. Head to a café with friends for chlebícky—open-faced sandwiches—or explore the city’s many wonders, including quaint Old Town, the 11th century castle, Vyšehrad, and David Cerný’s street art. Get to know Czech people via meetups, meals, excursions, and more.
Mix and match 4 - 5 IFSA classes for a total of 12 - 15 U.S. semester credit hours. All classes are worth 3 U.S. semester credits and are open to all students. IFSA has carefully tailored a suite of computer science classes to fit U.S. degree requirements, which you can complement with social and historical surveys that invite you to engage with your host city and community.
All students will take Essential Czech, a 1 U.S. semester credit hour class in contemporary Czech language and culture taught intensively during the first weeks of the program.
IFSA Core Class
Augmented Reality: Leadership Development for the Tech Sector
IFSA Computer Science Classes
- Computer Networks
- Database Management Systems
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
- Introduction to Computer and Network Security
- Introduction to Machine Learning
- Software Engineering
IFSA Elective Classes
- Architecture and Design in Prague
- Beginning Czech I
- Comparative Perspectives in Human Rights
- Democracies in Transition: Reimagining Europe
- Entrepreneurship: Creating a Plan of Action
- International Internship Seminar
- Social Psychology
- Tech, Ethics, and Public Policy
- Truth, Storytelling, and Narrative: Becoming Czech
Please visit IFSA Tech Career Accelerator on the IFSA website for complete class descriptions and syllabi.
CULTURAL ENGAGEMENT ACTIVITIES & EXCURSIONS
Program activities are designed to enhance your intercultural competence by developing your understanding of the local culture and people. Activities are optional, but they are included in your total program fee. They vary each term based on availability, but activities may include:
- Aiming at Moonshots
- Women in Tech
- Network It
- Cultural Life in Prague
- Cold War in Prague
- Eating Local-Food, People, and Sustainability
- Czech Buddy Pizza Night
IFSA excursions are included in your total program fee and though these are optional, most students choose to participate. They vary each term based on availability, but excursions may include:
- Back to the Woods Trip
- Kutná Hora Trip
- Czech Outdoor Culture
|BEGIN YOUR STUDY ABROAD JOURNEY|
Choose your ideal program by customizing and personalizing your search filters. Using IFSA’s Global Wayfinder tool, you can find programs by searching beyond location and area of study. Consider aspects such as your day-to-day living experience or your interests to find your ideal program.
Using CHART, you’ll be able to see which classes abroad fit easily into your academic plan. You can also see which classes your home institution has already approved to guarantee that your credits will align.
Apply Online Today.
Our easy online application process is here for you! Simply log in to the IFSA Student Portal and answer questions about yourself to get started. If you get stuck or have questions, reach out to our IFSA team. We’re here to help.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN MY IFSA PROGRAM?
- Academic Support
- Administrative Fees and Applications Fees
- Airport Pickup
- Activities and Excursions (including transportation and meals)
- Guaranteed Housing
- International Medical Insurance
- Internet Access in Housing
- Internship, Directed Research, and Volunteer Opportunities (on many programs)
- Meals (on some programs)
- Official Transcript with U.S. Credit Translation
- On-site Orientation
- On-site Staff Support (including in-person meetings and emergencies)
- Pre-arrival Advising
WE’RE HERE FOR YOU
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
UMD partners with IFSA to offer program options to UMD students across the globe. While you will maintain your UMD student status while you are away, you will work directly with IFSA program staff as a participant on their program. Your EA advisor will assist you with this process and can answer questions you may have about the application process.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
Costs for Other Approved Programs are outlined on the Costs of Study Abroad page.