UMD: A Globally Connected University
EVIDENCE OF SUFFICIENT FINANCES
There are 3 categories of funding:
- Personal: Funding listed under your own name (not a friend or family member’s).
- University: Assistantship, Fellowships, Scholarships, and Stipends given by UMD (typically from the department in which you are studying).
- Other Funding: Family/Friend Sponsorship, Government Funding, or other outside sources. (F-1 students are not permitted to be the financial sponsors of other F-1 students)
Funding must be accessible to the student immediately. Documents in English or with English translations are strongly recommended. The following table shows accepted and non-accepted forms of funding
|Accepted Forms of Funding||Non-Accepted Forms of Funding|
The proof of funding must:
- Be dated within the past 3 months
- Clearly indicate the name of the account holder(s)
- Show the account number (at least the last few digits)
- Show type of the account
- Show the current balance/total amount of money in the account
- A maturity date if the account is any type of term deposit account
YOU MAY ONLY PROVIDE THREE PROOFS OF FUNDING IN TOTAL - For example: 2 bank accounts and 1 fixed deposit.We understand this may require you to condense several accounts.
If your family/friend is supplying copies of their bank statements, we also need a signed letter from each supporting sponsor, in English, or with an attached translation, stating that they are giving you that money for your educational expenses.
- If your sponsor resides outside of the United States, the Letter of Sponsorship should be completed and signed by your sponsor.
- If your sponsor resides within the United States, an Affidavit of Support (I-134 form signed by all sponsors) is required.
If you have dependent(s), please show additional financial support of $4,500 per year for each dependent.
Click here to view the Estimated Cost of Attendance for your academic program.
Please note: this is only an estimate of your tuition, fees, and living expenses. Your academic department will be able to give you the best estimate of your tuition.
- Choose Your Program of Study
- Select whether you have received an Assistantship, Fellowship or Both
- Select the level of Tuition Remission (select “Other” if you are given an exact funding amount for tuition).
- Enter Total Scholarship Amount from any Fellowship (enter numbers only, no comas or dollar signs)
- Enter the Total Stipend Amount from the Graduate Assistantship (enter numbers only, no comas or dollar signs)
- Enter the number of dependents you plan to join you.
- Click Submit to see how much you still need to show, if anything
If you need an estimate for less than a 12 month window, please reach out to a ISSS Student Advisor.
If you have additional questions, please visit our frequently asked questions page.