UMD: A Globally Connected University

Dependent Information

Dependent Information

Working in J-2 status

A J-2 dependent/spouse is in status only while the J-1 is in status. J-2's are allowed to work in the US. Authorization for employment is from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)


  • Letter from applicant (Expressing the need for employment, amount and source of J-1 funding support, and a statement that the income earned by the J-2 will not be used for the support of J-1).
  • Form I-765: We suggest you type the application and use a blue pen to sign.
  • Include a copy of your I-94 record  from,  a photocopy of J-1's DS-2019.
  • 2 color photographs of J-2 (Note: the photos must meet certain specifications. A list of the specifications is attached to the application that you pick up in OIS.) You can obtain photos on campus Photographic Services, 5201 Paint Branch Parkway, Suite 1117, call 301-405-0577 for an appointment.
  • Check for $410 made payable to Department of Homeland Security and mail to:

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS) Deliveries:
PO Box 660867
Dallas, TX 75266

For Express mail and courier deliveries:
Attn: AOS
2501 S. State Hwy. 121 Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

  • The applicant will receive a receipt by mail. If the application is approved, an approval notice and employment authorization card (EAC card) will be mailed directly to the applicant at the address listed on the I-765. The applicant cannot begin working until the card is received. It is recommended that applications to extend employment authorization be filed 120 days before the current EAC expires.

  • Income earned by J-2's is subject to Social Security taxes as well as federal, state, and local income tax. More information on income tax requirements is available in ISSS. J-2's can apply for a Social Security number AFTER they have received employment authorization.

Note:The regulations state that the employment should be "used to support the family's customary recreational and cultural activities and related travel, among other things. Employment authorization will be issued in the form of a photo identification card called an EAD - Employment Authorization Document. The J-2 should show this card to the employer at the time he/she is hired.

Studying in J-2 status

If a J-2 is interested in studying at the University of Maryland, College Park as a J-2 dependent, you may fill out an Advanced Special Student Application. If you have any questions, please contact International Student Scholar Services.

For more information, see an advisor in International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS), 1126 H.J. Patterson Hall. Phone: 301-314-7740.

Programs for Your Spouse

International Student Scholar Services welcomes your spouse to the University of Maryland. Learn more about our Orientation and programming available for your spouse.