UMD: A Globally Connected University
If the completion date indicated on your I-20/DS-2019 form (see section 5 on I-20, section 3 on DS-2019) will pass before you can complete your studies, you must apply for a program extension before the program end date on the I-20/DS-2019 is reached. ISSS recommends that you submit an extension request in iTerp no earlier than 90 days prior to your current I-20/DS-2019 end date. Please register for any required coursework in the upcoming term before submitting your request in iTerp.. ISSS is only able to make extensions of 1 year due to SEVIS limitations.
You are eligible for an extension if the following apply:
- You have continually maintained full-time student status.
- The delay in completing your studies was "caused by compelling academic or medical reasons, such as changes of major or research topics, unexpected research problems, or documented illnesses.
- Delays resulting from academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reasons for an extension.
- For J-1 students: You cannot receive an extension if you have received a waiver of 212(e).
Students should follow the step below to submit an application on the iTerp system to have the I-20/DS-2019 extended:
Please note: iTerp applications to extend the I-20/DS-2019 should generally be submitted no earlier than 90 days before the expiration date of the I-20/DS-2019, but must be submitted at least a week prior to the expiration of the I-20/DS-2019.
- Prior to beginning your I-20/DS-2019 extension, please register for all required courses for the upcoming semester (PhD students who receive automatic registration in 899 are exempt from this requirement to register in advance of applying for an extension. However, a PhD student who is requesting an extension to the end of the next optional term in order to graduate should register for 1 credit of 899. For summer, please register for 1 credit in the same summer term you plan to submit your final electronic dissertation).
- Log on to your iTerp account and click F-1 Student Services > Program Extension (J-1 students should instead click J-1 Student Services > Program Extension)
- Students should read the form's instructions and then complete the Academic Advisor form at the bottom of the page. This will send a request to your academic advisor to complete some information about your academic program and remaining degree requirements. Note: You will not be able to complete the remainder of your Program Extension request until your academic advisor submits their portion of the form.
- You will be notified by e-mail once your academic advisor completes their portion form. At that time, you may log back into your iTerp account and complete the Program Extension e-form. This form will require you to upload a copy of the following information.
- Copies of your financial support information for the duration of the extension. Please view acceptable sources of funding here.
- Copy of your current passport ID/expiration date page.
- If the delay was due to medical reasons, you will need to upload a letter from your medical doctor.
- For J-1 students: Please submit the Proof of Insurance form on your iTerp account (this can be found at J-1 Student Services > Proof of Insurance).
- After submission of all required iTerp forms, an International Student Advisor will review your documentation. A new I-20/DS-2019 with the new end date will be produced after your eligibility and documents are verified by ISSS. You will be notified by e-mail within 3-5 business days if your extension request is approved.