UMD: A Globally Connected University

Extension of Stay

Extension of Stay

If you are a Visiting Professor or Research Scholar in J-1 status at the University of Maryland and need to extend your permission to stay in this country to accomplish your original program objective, please refer to the eligibility and procedure information below.

Your J-1 program will end on the date shown in item #3 of your Form DS-2019. Authorization to extend your stay is your responsibility.

  • If you need additional time for your J-1 program, then you need to apply for an extension of your DS-2019 through your academic department about 4 months before your current form expires.
  • If your J-2 spouse needs to extend employment authorization, then we recommend that you apply for your DS-2019 extension 6 months before your current DS-2019 expires.
  • You are given an additional 30 days after J-1 program end date on the DS-2019 to leave the US. During these extra 30 days, you can prepare for your trip home or take a vacation within the US.

You are eligible to apply for an extension of stay if:

  • You are working toward the objective shown on your most recent Form DS-2019.
  • You are maintaining your J-1 status and you have proof of health insurance for you and your family.
  • You can demonstrate adequate funding for the period of the proposed extension.
  • You have a passport that is valid for at least six more months
  • You can not extend beyond the maximum period of stay for your J-1 category.



Maximum Stay

Visiting Professor or Research Scholar


5 years

Short-term scholars


6 months


  1. Two months before your permission to stay expires, contact your academic department for information on extension procedures. Applications for extensions are processed electronically.
  2. When an approved electronic application reaches your J-1 Responsible Officer at International Student & Scholar Services, we will submit the request to the Department of State through the SEVIS system and a new form DS-2019 will be issued.
    • SEVIS Verification required for extension
  3. Once you have received your new Form DS-2019 from your J-1 Responsible Officer, your permission to stay inside the United States has been extended but your J-1 visa stamp has not. If you plan to travel outside the United States, please refer to the procedures for Travel Abroad.