UMD: A Globally Connected University

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


Do I have to purchase insurance?

As of Fall 2017 health insurance is mandatory for all newly admitted undergraduate freshmen and undergraduate transfer students registered for 6 or more credits.   All undergraduate F-1 and J1 students will be automatically enrolled in the University Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) for the academic year and the cost will be billed to his/her student bursar account.   Read more on the Health Center's website.

For insurance requirements for J-1 students click here.

Return to FAQ List

Can you recommend a health insurance plan?

Unfortunately, we cannot recommend a particular health insurance carrier.  However, we encourage you to visit the University Health Center's website for more information on insurance.

Return to FAQ List

What immunizations do I need?
Please review the immunization form for a listing of the immunizations. You will need to submit the immunization form to the university health center during our international student orientation. You can find more information about this requirement at: lergimmuntravel/immunizations

For additional inquiries regarding the immunization form, please contact the Student Health Center at Since our office does not review or approve the form, we are not able to answer specific questions about its requirements. We do recommend making a copy of the completed form for yourself before you submit the original to the Health Center.
Return to FAQ List

What are the financial requirements for admission?
You need to have enough finances to cover the cost of attendance and it seems that you do not fulfill the requirement. Please send proof of adequate financials if you can.
Return to FAQ List

How can I apply for financial aid? Are scholarships available for international students?
The University of Maryland Office of Student Financial Aid created a resource for international students. Follow the link to review the types of assistance for which international students can and cannot apply.

Additional inquiries for scholarships should be directed to the program you want to apply. International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) does not oversee the admissions process. The Graduate School website provides a listing of all academic programs at the following link.

If you have further questions regarding admissions to the University of Maryland, please direct them to the Graduate School at Additional information about applying to the University of Maryland is available on their website.


Do I need to add/update my OPT information in SEVIS?
Yes, while you are on Optional Practical Training, you are still on F-1 status at the University of Maryland and you still need to update your information in SEVIS through ISSS. Once you have found an employer, login to your iTerp account>CPT/OPT/STEM Related>OPT:  Report New Employer Information. 

Return to FAQ List

Am I eligible for OPT/STEM?
F-1 students who meet certain requirements are eligible to apply for OPT, which is an employment authorization in your field of study for up to 12 months for each level of study. In order to be eligible to apply for OPT, you need to be in valid F-1 status for at least one academic year, be in possession of a valid passport, and be currently registered full-time or be authorized to be part-time by ISSS for your final semester. Students who have completed more than 11 months of full-time CPT are not eligible to apply for OPT. Students who have a degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math (STEM) field may also apply for a STEM extension, which follows the initial 12 months of OPT and allows for 24 more months of employment experience.

The first step to apply for OPT is to sign up for an OPT session through the ISSS calendar to learn more about the process, limitations, and requirements.

Return to FAQ List

I want to attend an OPT workshop. What should I do?
Students who attend an OPT workshop have to register first. Because of the high demand to apply for OPT this is a requirement. However, students cancel reservations regularly so you may want to check consistently whether a space has opened. The workshops are offered multiple times a week. To register, log in to your iTerp account, click on Session Sign-Ups > OPT Workshop or OPT Workshop for MS Business Students.​
Return to FAQ List

My OPT is ending early. What should I do?
After the completion of your OPT, you have a 60 day grace period to either leave the US, start a new program of study, or change to another status. If you have accrued 90 days of unemployment or otherwise not maintained your status while on OPT, you do not have a grace period.

Transitioning to another status or beginning a new course of study also ends your OPT period. If you have been approved for a change of status, please submit your approval notice to ISSS so that we can update your records accordingly. If you are starting a new course of study at the University of Maryland, your OPT will end once your new program starts. If you are starting a new course of study at another university, you will need to complete the transfer out process, and once your record is transferred to the new university, your OPT ends.

If you want to end your OPT early and leave the US, please send us your travel information and a short note regarding your plans so that we can update your records.
Return to FAQ List

My OPT information has changed. What should I do?
The University of Maryland remains your sponsor during your OPT period. During that time, you are required to report any changes (for example, address changes, employment changes, status change, etc.) to ISSS within 10 days. To update details about a previously reported period of employment, log in to your iTerp account, click F-1 Student Services > CPT/OPT/STEM Related > OPT: Update Existing Employer Information​
Return to FAQ List

Can I travel on OPT before receiving an EAD?
USCIS informed ISSS that before receiving an EAD, OPT applicants should at a minimum travel with their I-765 receipt, in addition to standard immigration documentation (I-20, passport, I-94, etc.). ISSS staff was informed of the new policy at a conference so we cannot provide definitive documentation proving the US government's change in policy. See the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) page on F-1 overseas travel. Note the frequently-asked question at the bottom of the page: 2.N. Can I reenter if my request for OPT is pending? An answer is provided, but without further citation or advice regarding documentation that a traveler should carry. Therefore, OIS strongly advises students NOT to travel before receiving their EAD card because of the government's lack of guidance or instruction.
Return to FAQ List



How much is tuition?
The Office of the Bursar oversees both student tuition and fees. At the graduate level tuition and fees can vary from one academic department to the next. If you follow the Office of the Bursar link you can review the various fees. One additional thing to note: if accepted the students' tuition will be at the non-resident level since they are not Maryland residents. Non-resident fees apply to all students -- international and American -- who are not official residents of the state of Maryland.
Return to FAQ List

How do I make my tuition payment?
Please see the Office of the Bursar's website for more information on tuition payments.
Return to FAQ List