UMD: A Globally Connected University
Frequently Asked Questions about Taxes
Frequently Asked Questions about Taxes
DISCLAIMER: International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) is neither licensed nor qualified to provide tax advice and will not do so. The information provided is intended for your benefit. Any questions or concerns should be directed to TerpTax, a certified tax preparer or a local IRS field office.
The deadline for filing 2021 Federal Tax Returns is
Monday, April 18, 2022.
STATE RETURN DEADLINES
|State||Income Tax Filing Deadline|
|Maryland||July 15, 2022|
|Virginia||May 1, 2022|
|Washington, DC||April 18, 2022|
The IRS will begin accepting and processing returns on January 24, 2022. You can mail in returns before January 24th but they will not be processed until January 24th. TerpTax will begin taking appointments on their website in February.
FAQ'S for Non-Residents for Tax Purposes
- What is the deadline for filing my 2021 tax forms?
- What assistance does the University provide?
- What forms do I need to file my Federal tax return?
- How do I start filing my taxes?
- Am I a resident or non-resident alien for tax purposes?
- Can I file my Federal tax return electronically?
- How can I file for an extension?
► What is the deadline for filing my 2021 tax forms?
The deadline for filing your 2021 Federal Tax Return is Monday, April 18, 2022. Your envelope must be postmarked by 11:59pm on that day.
► What assistance does the University provide?
- Terp TAX, housed in the Robert H. Smith School of Business, is a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) chapter, a program created by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to provide FREE tax return preparation to low-to-mid-income individuals and families, the elderly, students, and persons with disabilities. TerpTax has moved appointments to meet virtually. Make your appointment on their website - https://www.terptaxumd.org/. TerpTax will reassess the needs for appointments on April 15.
- GLACIER Tax Prep can be used free of charge by F-1/F-2 and J-1/J-2 status holders to prepare their U.S. Federal income tax return.
Glacier Tax Prep will be available mid February for this filing season.
To access GLACIER Tax Prep:
Click Tax Service > Glacier Tax Preparation
Read over the list of documentation needed. Click Access Glacier Tax Prep. You will be redirected to Glacier's website to login with your existing Glacier account or create a new one.
- Glacier Tax Prep Clinic - March 29 at 2:30pm - Review the recording here. This workshop is for Nonresident Aliens(NRA) for Tax Purposes only. It provides NRAs an overview of the US Federal Tax return filing process and assists with navigating Glacier Tax Prep in order to complete the 2021 tax return and Form 8843. These forms are required to be mailed to the Internal Revenue Service by the deadline of Monday, April 15, 2022.
► What forms do I need to file my Federal tax return?
- If you were working (ex: graduate assistantship, hourly on-campus position) in 2021:
- You will be sent a W-2 statement (January 31)
- If you received a scholarship/fellowship OR you are claiming a tax exemption due to a TAX TREATY in 2021
- You will be sent a 1042S form (March 15)
If you need to request a Duplicate W-2 or 1042-S, go to Central Payroll Bureau's Payroll Services for State Agencies website and follow instructions.
- Federal - First complete your federal tax return. Information from this form is required to complete your State tax return. Login to Glacier Tax Prep (following the instructions above) to complete your Federal tax return.
- Form 8843 Required - This form is generated by Glacier Tax Prep.
- State - For assistance with the State tax return, you can get assistance from:
- TAP - For graduate students only
- MSLC VITA at R. H. Smith Business School
► Am I Resident or Non-Resident Alien for Tax Purposes?
Login in to Glacier Tax Prep (following the instructions above) to determine your tax status. If you are a Nonresident Alien for Tax Purposes (NRA), you should use Glacier Tax Prep to complete your Federal tax return. Only NRAs can use Glacier Tax Prep. We recommend that NRAs do not use other commercially available tax preparation software products, like TurboTax, that do not perform the NRA calculation.
If you are a Resident Alien for Tax Purposes, you can use TAP or MSLC VITA resources to help you with completing your tax return.
► Can I file my Federal tax return electronically?
No, you must print, sign and postmark you tax return no later than 11:59 pm on April 18, 2022. The address to file your tax return if no payment is required:
Department of Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215, U.S.A.
If you need to submit a payment with your tax return, see page 3 "Where to File" - Instructions for Form 1040 NR-EZ(2018)
► How can I file for an extension?
This video will walk you through the process of filing an income tax extension.
TerpTax Appointments for May, June and July are available for students who complete the extension and want help to file over the summer months.
International Student & Scholar Services provides this tax resource information to UM students and scholars for informational and educational purposes and not as a substitute for advice obtained from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or a qualified tax professional. Students and scholars who have questions about their income tax situation should consult a qualified tax professional. Each person is responsible for the accuracy of his/her income tax returns and any resulting penalties or interest