UMD: A Globally Connected University
International Graduate Student Orientation
International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) requires you to attend our International Student Orientation, which addresses immigration, academic and adjustment issues to the University of Maryland.
This session is required for all new international graduate students.*
*Exception: Business Masters Students will have their orientation organized separately through the Business School and should not register here.
The Fall 2013 International Graduate Student Orientation will be held August 26-29, 2013. This includes at least one required day and one day of elective sessions. You have several steps to follow:
Unable to register for a Welcome Session? ISSS can help start your experience at University of Maryland! Start here.
- Make a reservation for the morning or afternoon August 29 ISSS Orientation Session (below) and also make reservations for any August 28 Elective Sessions. There is no charge for this Orientation program, though it is required for your immigration status. Important! Please register for only ONE of the following two sessions according to your college of admission:
- August 29 Morning session: For students in Agriculture & Natural Resources, Architecture, Arts & Humanities, Behavioral & Social Sciences, Education, Journalism, Information Studies, Public Health, Public Policy Colleges ONLY
- August 29 Afternoon session: For students in Computer, Mathematical and Natural Sciences; Engineering Colleges ONLY
- Make a reservation for a Welcome Session. You must attend one Welcome Session where we will collect copies of your immigration documents. If you arrive to the area before Orientation activities begin, you may attend a Welcome Session. The Welcome Session will last about 1.5 hours.
- Attend a Welcome Session: You must bring the documents listed below to the Welcome Session. A Welcome Session is also offered during Orientation.
- Your current passport
- Your current I-20 or DS-2019
- All previously issued I-20s or DS-2019s
- Photocopies (or originals) of all dependent's Immigration documents (if applicable)
- Proof of insurance (J-1 visa holders only)
- Immunization Form & medical records (required by the Health Center - we will direct you when/where to go after the Welcome Session).
- Attend ISSS Elective Sessions as desired on August 28.
- Attend the appropriate ISSS Orientation Session on August 29. You should bring your immigration documents to the ISSS session (all previous I- 20s, passport).
Note: Some graduate school orientation programs may conflict with the ISSS Orientation. If you have such a conflict, you should attend your departmental program and include ISSS sessions as time allows. If any required sessions are missed you will need to attend them at a later date.
Please see the calendar below for a full schedule of orientation events or download a printable PDF here (available soon).
*If you have been admitted to the University of Maryland with the provision that you take an English exam, it is scheduled for the morning of August 26. Check-in starts promptly at 8:00am in the lobby of the Biology-Psychology Building.
Parking for Orientation
From August 17- September 2, a parking pass is not necessary to park on campus. You are permitted to park in any numbered lot except 15. The closest parking lots to Tydings Hall are Lots 1 and 19.
Please note: Classes begin on Tuesday, September 3, 2013. Please plan accordingly!