UMD: A Globally Connected University
International Student Orientation
Registration for International Student Orientation events will be available early December on iTerp.
- After logging in, select the left menu item, Register for Orientation. Registration instructions are included here, but if you have any problem, more detailed instructions with screenshots on registration are here.
- Sign up for orientation events under Session Signups.
- You may then print your customized schedule by returning to the Register for Orientation menu.
For an idea of what will be offered, feel free to print the anticipated schedule of events below.
Orientation Schedule at a Glance
What happens during International Student Orientation?
Required ISSS Immigration Session
International Student Orientation for Fall 2018 will begin Monday, August 20th, 2018 - Friday, August 24th, 2018 (please click on the icons on above to view the full schedule). To accommodate students' varying schedules, the required Immigration Session is repeated multiple times.
- F-1 Immigration Sessions for transfer students will be offered on Fridays @ 2:00pm-4:00pm on:
- May 4, 2018
- June 8, 2018
- July 13, 2018
- July 27, 2018
- F-1 Immigration Sessions for new & transfer students will be offered on:
- Friday, August 3rd @ 10:00-11:30am
- Friday, August 10th @ 10:00-11:30am
- Monday, August 13 @ 1:00-3:00pm
- Wednesday, August 15 @ 10:00-11:30am
- Thursday, August 16 @ 10:00-11:30am
- Friday, August 17th @ 10:00-11:30am
During the week of orientation, 3 more F-1 Immigration Sessions (for both transfer and newly admit students) will be offered. Choose the best date that works for you and register in advance via iTerp since space may be limited.
As your Immigration Sponsor, ISSS must report your arrival to UMD in the government’s SEVIS system. During the Immigration Session, ISSS Advisors will explain how this works and what steps you need to take as a new student to ensure your F-1/J-1 record is “activated” in SEVIS. We will also explain immigration regulations to maintain your legal F-1/J-1 status while at UMD. Please arrive a few minutes early to sign in with our staff, as attendance is recorded for this important session. We look forward to meeting you soon!
Optional Orientation Week Sessions, Trips, and Social Events
ISSS also hopes you will have fun and meet new friends at Orientation! Optional educational and social events are offered to aid your transition to life at UMD and in the College Park area. Space may also be limited at these events, so register via iTerp if you are committed to attending.
Transportation for Orientation
Most ISSS Orientation events are held in Tydings Hall but you should check the schedule to ensure there have been no changes. Please plan accordingly to be on time.
A good interactive walking map is terpnav.umd.edu.
Information on campus parking lots and parking passes is available through Department of Transportation Services (DOTS) located in the Regents Garage.
Download maps and transportation apps here.
Disability Support for Orientation
If you require any disability support to attend ISSS Orientation, please contact Disability Support Services at http://counseling.umd.edu/DSS.