UMD: A Globally Connected University

J-2 Dependent Information

J-2 Dependent Information

How to Apply for J-2 Visa

J-2 Dependent Status for Spouse and Children

The J-2 Visa is a non-immigrant visa for spouses and dependents (unmarried children under the age of 21) of J-1 exchange visitors who accompany or later join the J-1 holder in the United States.

Each dependent must have his/her own DS-2019. If the spouse and/or dependent child is accompanying the J-1 scholar, the dependent information is uploaded during the initial J-1 request in iTerp. If the spouse and/or dependent child is arriving in the U.S. after the J-1 scholar, ISSS recommends making an appointment to meet with an advisor to review the J-2 process.

Step 1: The J-1 exchange visitor should meet with an ISSS Faculty and Scholar Advisor to review the J-2 process. The J-1 will request the DS-2019 forms through iTerp.

  1. The J-1 will log in using the "I have an active Directory ID" option at the top of the page.
  2. The J-1 will enter his/her directory ID and password in the Central Authentication Services (CAS) page.
  3. Once logged in the J-1 will go to the left side of the page and under J-1 Scholar Services, select Request Immigration Documents for a Spouse or Child.
  4. Click this option and provide the dependents’ information and upload the following:
  • Copy of Passport Picture for each family member
  • Proof of funding for the J-1 EV and dependents.  The minimum funding for living expenses is $35,568 per year ($2964.00 per month), plus $4,500 per year (375.00 per month) for each dependent.  Documentation of finances should not include benefits or travel allowances.

Step 2: ISSS will prepare the J-2 DS-2019s and alert the scholar when they are ready to picked-up in 1126 H.J. Patterson Hall.  

Step 3: The J-1 exchange visitor will mail the J-2 DS-2019 via express courier to his dependent.  It is important that the dependent not schedule the visa interview until after he/she has received the DS-2019.  The dependent does not have to pay a SEVIS fee.  The dependent will need to pay a US visa fee. 

For more information on the J-2 Visa visit

Step 4: When the J-2 arrives in the US, the J-1 exchange visitor will complete the e-form J-2 Dependent Arrival Information for each dependent. The following should be uploaded:

  • Visa Stamp
  • I-94
  • Proof of health insurance for the entire length of the DS-2019


*If a J-2 permanently leaves the US, and has no plans to return to the US as a J-2, the J-1 should complete the e-form J-2 Dependent Departure