UMD: A Globally Connected University

Updating I-20/DS-2019

Updating I-20/DS-2019

Ensuring the validity of all information on your I-20/DS-2019 is an important part of maintaining your status. If any changes occur to the information on your forms, you may need to update your I-20/DS-2019. 

Change of Name/Country Information
If you have recently changed your name or citizenship you may need to update your I-20/DS-2019.  However, it is best that all of your Immigration documents match as closely as possible.  If you have not yet updated your passport/visa, you should wait until you are ready to change those documents.  In the meantime you can carry a legal document showing the change with your current documents.

Change of Program Dates
If the dates of your study do not match your degree progress then you will need to have your I-20/DS-2019 updated.  If you will complete your program early you should speak with an ISSS advisor and submit an Exit Plan Form.  If you need additional time to complete your studies you should speak with an ISSS advisor about requesting an extension BEFORE your current document expires.  You do not need to submit the Update Request Form for a change of program dates.

Change of Degree Level
If you plan on changing to a higher degree, you must be officially admitted into that program first.

Some Ph.D. students may decide to terminate studies at the Master's level. If you are thinking about doing this, the first thing you should do is discuss this with your academic advisor. If it is agreed that this is the right decision for you, then your department must first contact the Graduate School. The Graduate School will then update your records to indicate that you are a Master-level student and no longer a doctoral-level student. Only after the Graduate School acknowledges this change can IES change the program level on your I-20/DS-2019.

Change of Major/Program of Study
If you plan on changing your major/program of study, you must be officially admitted into that program first.

Change of Funding: F-1
A change of funding on your I-20 is typically not necessary.  However, if you are applying for a visa, then you should update the funding if you are awarded or lose a graduate assistantship.  If you have other reasons for updating the funding information on your I-20, then it is suggested that you come in to speak with an ISSS advisor.

Change of Funding: J-1
A change of funding on your DS-2019 is necessary every time your source of funding changes. 

How to update your I-20/DS-2019:

In order to update your I-20/DS-2019, you will need to submit an Update Request Form to ISSS along with the supporting documents listed on the form.