UMD: A Globally Connected University

Health Insurance

Health Insurance


Undergraduate Students

All undergraduates registered for 6 credits or more are automatically enrolled in UMD's Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).  Undergraduate students who already have a US health insurance policy and wish to apply for a waiver can do so by following steps outlined in the Health Center website. Students must complete the waiver no later than September 15.

Graduate Students

All Graduate students enrolled full-time in a master’s or doctoral program at the University of Maryland, College Park campus must have health insurance coverage. Graduate students are not automatically enrolled in the SHIP insurance plan. For more information on your options see the Graduate School’s web page here.

Graduate students enrolling in an external plan, or if covered by someone else’s plan (a parent or a spouse), should complete the External Health insurance Reporting Form on the Academic HealthPlans (AHP).


For more information on the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) visit the Health Center's website.


All J-1 Visa Holders


As an Exchange Visitor in the United States, you are required to carry health insurance for yourself and your J-2 dependents for the full duration of your J program. Government regulations stipulate that if you willfully fail to carry health insurance for yourself and your dependents, your J-1 sponsor must terminate your program, and report the termination to the United States Department of State (DOS) in Washington, DC. All J1& J2 Exchange Visitors (except Non-Degree Exchange Students) should upload proof of insurance coverage into the iTerp system upon arrival to UMD and maintain coverage throughout your stay at the University of Maryland.

Non-Degree J1 Exchange Students

The University of Maryland requires that all incoming Non Degree J1 exchange students are enrolled in the UMD Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). Coverage can be found at:

Students will automatically be enrolled and billed through their UMD account.


Required Insurance Specifications for all J1 Exchange Students
While you hold J-1 or J-2 status, you are required to carry the following type and amounts of coverage:

  • $100,000 (minimum) for each accident or illness.
  • $50,000 (minimum) for the expenses of your travel, if a doctor advises you to be sent home because of a serious illness or injury.
  • $25,000 (minimum) in benefits to send your remains to your home country for burial, if you should die in the United States.
  • $500 (maximum) deductible per accident or illness.
  • Waiting period for pre-existing conditions must be reasonable by current standards in the insurance industry.
  • The policy must be backed by the full faith and credit of your home country government or the company providing the insurance must meet minimum rating requirements established by USIA (an A. M. Best rating of "A-" or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of "A-i" or above, a Standard & Poor's Claims-paying Ability rating of "A-" or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above).

If you have questions concerning the J-1 insurance regulations please click here.

Insurance Options for J-1 Scholars and UMD Degree Seeking J1 Exchange Students
If the University of Maryland is your J-1 sponsor, you have several options that comply with the J-1 regulation.

  • Maryland Benefits Plan is available to some Maryland employees. This does not provide for medical evacuation or repatriation insurance so you must also enroll in a supplemental policy to cover those benefits.  These policies typically do not cover medical evacuation and repatriation; a supplemental policy is available through the Health Center.
  • University Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) student insurance policy is available for students at the Health Center.
    • Students may sign up during the open enrollment periods at the beginning of each term or within 30 days of being removed from another policy.
  • If you are already covered by a U.S. based insurance policy that meets the requirements below, please provide written proof of coverage to ISSS.  J-1 students can use the Proof of Insurance (J-1 Students) e-form on iTerp to submit the following information:
    • A document that clearly specifies the amount of coverage, deductible, co-payments, and exclusions.
    • Provide period and type of coverage and the policy concerning pre-existing conditions.
    • State company rating
    • For repatriation, UMCP offers a group insurance policy which provides emergency medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance. To enroll, please contact the Health Center Business Office at 301-314-9816.

Where To Find Insurance Information

Please visit for more information about purchasing the University Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).